Smoky cauliflower soup with spicy pepita granola
Savoury granolas are all the rage right now and this one is a bit of a cheat using Crumbs of Capel chilli cheese biscuits. Top any luscious creamy vegetable soup with this and you’ll be hooked. Served here with a simple cauliflower soup, it's perfect for weekday suppers or lunches with a hunk of sourdough bread.Serves six
For the granola:
One dessertspoon olive oil
100g pepita (pumpkin seeds)
One teaspoon of hot smoked paprika
Sprinkle of Smoked Maldon Sea Salt
Half pack of Crumbs of Capel’s chilli cheese biscuits, crumbledFor the soup:
One tablespoon olive oil
One large onion, peeled and chopped
Two cloves smoked garlic, crushed
One to two sticks of celery, roughly chopped
One handful of fresh thyme
One large cauliflower, broken into florets
One large potato, peeled and cut into chunks
1.2 litres vegetable or chicken stock
Zest of one unwaxed lemon
Smoked Maldon Sea Salt
Fresh ground black pepper Method
• Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas mark 5.
• Make the granola first by tossing the pumpkin seeds in a little salt, smoked paprika and olive oil. Lay a sheet of non-stick silicone paper on a baking tray and tip on the seeds. Bake for 10–15 minutes, remove from oven and cool.
• To make the soup, heat the oil in a large, heavy base saucepan and add the onion, garlic and celery. Sauté without colouring for five to eight minutes, stirring occasionally.
• Now add the thyme, cauliflower and potato. Stir to coat and then add the stock. Simmer for 15 minutes, add the lemon zest and remove from heat. Purée until smooth and then season to taste.
• Mix the roasted pumpkin seeds with the crushed biscuits and place in a small serving dish.
• Serve the soup with a generous sprinkle of granola.Shirlee Posner